Imagine if you got everything you ever wanted?
Would everything you ever wanted – having endless money, great house, awesome car – really make you happier?
The research says no.
So what does make us happy? Ten ways to be happier
1. Choose the right parents. There are genetic factors implicated in happiness. Some people are just naturally happier than others. Some people naturally struggle with life, no matter how wealthy they are, while others cruise.
Happy parents have happy kids. If you have a parent who struggles with happiness, you’re more likely to struggle yourself. However, this is just one of the many factors affecting happiness. There is so much you can control with behaviour, so read on…
2. Diet plays a huge role. Study after study suggests that a diet rich in fresh fruits and vegetables and limiting processed food can improve our happiness.
On a personal level, almost all of my friends who have depression issues have a poor diet, with very few fresh fruits and vegetables.
3. Exercise is a factor. Get moving!
4. Get outside in the fresh air. People who get out, get active and get fresh air are generally happier.
5. and 6. Having friends and being part of a community makes a difference. It’s not about popularity. It’s just about feeling connected. Feeling like others would notice if you weren’t there.
Life is worthwhile when you share it with others. That’s the way people are made. We’re social creatures.
7. Being rested is a huge part of the equation. When people don’t get enough sleep, they often put on weight, get depressed, get stressed and suffer emotionally and physically.
8. Have sex. People with an active sex life are happier. Yes, really!
9. Caring for others makes people happy. People live longer when they have other people – or even pets – who depend on them. If you’re elderly, get a pet to care for. You’ll improve your health!
10. Pay off your debts. Paying off your debts will make you happier. What a great reason to simplify your life!