I’ve been doing The Project 333 a full year now.
Here are 9 benefits that having a capsule wardrobe has given me:
1. I’m happier with my body. I don’t have a perfect body. Who does? But by not feeling like I have to religiously follow and fit into fashion, I’m instead choosing what works for me, with the body I have, right here and now. This has led to greater acceptance of who and what I am. I feel free.
2. I know what I need. “Gaps” in my wardrobe become immediately obvious. When I started out, I couldn’t figure out why I wasn’t wearing my lovely vintage shirts. Turned out, it was because I had no jeans that comfortably fit (duh!). But because I had so many clothes, I couldn’t figure this out.
3. I wear everything. There’s no wastage. Everything that is in my wardrobe and drawers fits me, looks good, is comfortable, and gets worn.
4. I make fewer mistakes. Sure, I still make some mistakes. If an item doesn’t get worn, it’s immediately obvious as I don’t have that many clothes to start with. And because I have fewer clothes, I’m seeing patterns and trends in what I like and feel comfortable wearing. Which leads on to…
5. I’ve developed my own sense of style, and I don’t follow fashion so much any more. I don’t feel the need to have “must have” items when I know they won’t suit me. For example, horizontal stripe tops are “in”. But I know they won’t suit me, so I won’t be buying. I still look current, I’m just not “trendy”.
6. Having a smaller wardrobe has taught me what I like and what I think looks good. I’ve learned, for example, that I don’t wear scarves, jewelry and accessories. I like to keep things simple. I also like real leather handbags, belts and shoes – fake doesn’t do it for me. The backbone of my wardrobe is lovely vintage shirts and dresses, supported by leather jackets, boots and bags, denim jeans and leggings.
7. I spend less, and spend more wisely. I’ve learned where to spend money and where to buy cheap. Dresses I buy cheap. T-shirts I buy cheap. Leggings I buy cheap. Shoes, jackets and belts I spend and buy quality. Overall I am spending a lot less on clothing, and my clothes are getting greater wear.
8. I’m less stressed. I don’t worry about having anything to wear, because everything in my wardrobe fits me and is wearable. Despite having fewer items, I have more to wear than I ever did before. I know I can pull anything out of my wardrobe, and it will feel great and look good.
9. Space! I have space in my wardrobe and drawers, and can see everything I own. This is so refreshing.
If you haven’t tried The Project 333, it’s worth having a go. I’d never have thought that little ole shopaholic me would have settled in to having a capsule wardrobe, but now I can’t imagine things any other way.