I don’t wear a lot of makeup. Not quite ready to go “full hippie” 🙂 and avoid makeup altogether, I’ve still managed to get my makeup products down, over time, to five easy products that do the job well and help me look great with minimal fuss.
I’d like to share them with you. And no, I’m not getting a kick back – these are just great products that work and make life easy.
1. Sunblock. A necessity. Most sunblocks double as moisturizers, did you know? Mine is a cheap supermarket brand suitable for both face and body – Olay’s Complete defence daily UV moisturising lotion SPF 30+. Whatever else you might consider a necessity, sunblock is absolutely on the list. Choose one that is broad-spectrum and affordable enough that you won’t skimp.
2. BB cream. I’m currently using Garnier’s BB cream miracle skin perfector for sensitive skin in “Light”. I’m very happy with this product, it’s affordable (can you tell I like good value products?), excellent quality, and another great supermarket find.
I use BB cream instead of foundation or powder and here’s why: as you age (I’m heading towards 50), heavier formulations will sink into tiny lines and creases and make them more noticeable, while lighter products such as BB (beauty balm) creams have light reflecting ingredients that really do make your skin look better. And if you have dry skin (like mine), powder will emphasize every little dry patch. Ugh!
3. Eyeliner. Mine is friendly to contact lenses, and the soft grey color is suitable all year round. I use Clinique Kohl Shaper for Eyes in “202 Blackened Pewter”. It has a sharpener in the lid section, and goes on nice and soft. Most brands of contact lens-friendly eyeliners are quite good – I just like this one. Grey eyeliner is a softer alternative than black if you have blue eyes (I do) or your eyes are on the small side (yep, that too).
4. All over color. I use Clinique’s Chubby Stick Cheek Color Balm in “01 Amp’d Up Apple” for cheeks and eyes. It’s lovely and soft, and an excellent way to give all over color in one easy step. I find I don’t need anything more, and have even used this as a lip balm on occasion when I don’t want a full lipstick, such as in high summer at the beach. The BodyShop and ELF make similar products if you prefer to avoid the cosmetics counters.
5. Permanent lipstick. I’ve been a fan of L’Oreal’s Infallible 2-step in “312 Incessant Russet” for a couple of years now. It lasts all day, and feels fantastic on. Maybelline and Max Factor also both do permanent lipsticks in identical formulations to this one, so have a look and find a color that works for you. Strongly recommended.
No, I don’t wear mascara…
In case you noticed, there’s no mascara on the list.
I don’t wear it because I’m an allergy sufferer with sensitive skin, and I’m also not fond of the “panda eyes” look that mascara invariably gives me after a few hours of wear. I don’t think it’s healthy putting anything that close to my eyes, so I’ve been avoiding it for a while now.
Frankly, nobody has noticed 🙂