I’m onto my fourth year of my Capsule wardrobe. I can’t believe it!
I’ve been doing The Project 333 for four years now!
I started this journey to make my life easier, and having a capsule wardrobe has certainly done that. I no longer worry about what to wear each day, and I have clothing items that will function for practically any situation – all within the space of 33 items.
I’m finding that I spend much less on clothing, and I no longer baulk at buying quality items that will last the distance and feel comfortable. As an upside, I’m also much warmer in winter, as I’ve invested in good quality merino items that keep me much toastier than cheaper fashion clothing 🙂
Beyond fashion…saying no to fast fashion
I guess I’ve moved “beyond fashion”. Part of that is just becoming older (I’m in my 40s) but part of that is also just wanting to not waste money on trashy items that won’t last the distance.
In short, I got sick of spending a lot of money on clothing every year that didn’t look good, didn’t feel good, and didn’t last well. Some of it even fell apart or pilled after the first wash!
Then there was the issue of fast fashion. I didn’t want to be a part of the industry that is trashing our environment and hurting people. I wanted locally-made sustainable clothing. I wanted to support a company that gave jobs to people like me. I wanted to bring work to my own country. And I didn’t want to be a part of hidden child labour in any shape or form.
That doesn’t mean all my clothing is locally produced, of course. I’m not rich, and items like shoes and jeans are hard to find that are made locally at an affordable price. But when I can buy local or recycled I do, and over time I’m finding more sources for clothing that aligns with my principles but is affordable.
The benefits of a Capsule wardrobe
Over time, I’ve learned that the benefits of a Capsule wardrobe are huge:
- Dressing is easier. I dress to a color and style code, and choosing my outfit in the mornings is so easy! I always have something appropriate to wear, no matter what occasion, and I feel comfortable and relaxed. Because I have a smaller wardrobe, I can ensure all my clothing fits, and is in good condition.
- I buy better quality clothing. Because I have the need for less clothing, I can afford to spend more per item. The result is better items that last longer, look better and feel more comfortable. All a win!
- I save money. Although I’m spending more per item, I’m spending much less overall. This year I’ve spent much less than $500 on clothing. Before I started Capsuling, I’d have easily spent that each season!
- I can see what I need…and what I don’t. A smaller wardrobe enables me to keep everything organised. I can easily see at a glance what I own, what I need, and what I don’t need. As a result, I’m less tempted by “bargains” and sales.
- My clothing works well together. All my items work well together. My dresses work well with my ankle boots in summer or my sandals or ballet flats in summer. They are suitable for social or work events. My jeans go with everything. I have a range of merino LSTs, 3/4 sleeve t-shirts and short sleeve t-shirts that work well for all temperatures and, being merino, they need fewer washes, which is always a plus!
- A color code helps me decide. I have a color code of blue, green and black, with brights for accessories if I want (yellow, coral, orange). The color code helps me keep things even simpler, and helps me eliminate bad decisions. I know I look great in blue, green and black always looks clean and crisp. Having a color code within a Capsule is the icing on the cake for me – it works well and makes life so easy!